The Trash Hero movement embraces and lives by a strong set of values.
These standards are enshrined in our code of conduct, which every member of the global Trash Hero family pledges to follow. As an organisation, we also use the code, and the following principles, to guide our work.
- Grassroots action: we believe in the power of community-based volunteers to drive change and that this change can be achieved with minimal resources.
- Experiential learning: we believe that leading by example and creating opportunities for whole community action is more effective than talking and “raising awareness”. Regular, repeated actions lead to reflection and lasting change.
- Positive thinking: we focus on solutions, not what is wrong or who is to blame. We celebrate all of our achievements as another step on the road to “zero waste”.
- Building bridges: we believe in being inclusive and independent of politics, commerce or religion, which enables us to build consensus for change across all sectors of society
- Extreme transparency: we believe that volunteers should be fully accountable to their community. Expenses are to be covered by donations in kind (goods and services, not cash) primarily from local sponsors. “Zero waste” products must be sold at cost, with publicly available receipts.
Read the 2019 Annual Report for a full report on our global activities including our financial review.