KIDS & EDUCATION
YOU'RE NEVER TOO YOUNG TO BE A TRASH HERO!
Children have always loved joining our cleanups and feeling like a super hero. So in 2018 we launched a special “Trash Hero Kids” programme just for them. Based around a story and activity book, it gives primary school children the “why” and “how” of taking action on plastic pollution and motivates them to become a Trash Hero in their everyday lives.
The book lets them record simple challenges completed, such as refusing plastic bags or straws, refilling bottles and recycling, and collect points. These can then be exchanged for rewards such as the coveted Trash Hero t-shirt. The idea is to repeat the same actions over a long term period so that they become reflexive.
The programme has been well received in schools in Thailand and Indonesia, where we have translated the book into local language. A Burmese and Malaysian version will follow shortly. All local language materials, including the t-shirt rewards, are provided free of charge.
Older children and adults are included in our wider educational activities, with many chapters invited to visit schools and community groups to hold talks and workshops. These are often combined with a cleanup to reinforce the learning.
We also produce educational materials such as posters and videos to raise awareness about different aspects of plastic pollution. These are freely available in both English and local languages.
OUR INVOLVEMENTTrash Hero GB supports this programme worldwide by:
- Developing new Trash Hero educational materials in English and local languages
- Creating guidelines and training materials in English and local languages
- Coaching & training volunteers to run the programme locally
- Developing monitoring and evaluation structures and processes
- Ensuring availability of resources for all chapters
- Carrying out fundraising and associated reporting for the programme